To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Tuesday 13 April 2010

Here goes Nothing!

Dear Reader, whoever you may be...

I have a confession. I never thought of my self to be the type of person who blogs and, to be honest, I have never really been interested in reading blogs or blogging either. So why am I wasting your time?

Well, it all began with my brothers - as much in my life does. I have two (quite an unremarkable number) one older and one younger than myself; being stuck in the middle has not been easy. Both of them had been loitering around my bedroom door comparing the size of their muscles - typical male behaviour, the details of which I'm sure you would not want to know. Anyway, having no other book addicts in my house, I am constantly trying to engage my brothers in some even marginally intellectual conversation.

On that particular day, I was trying to enlighten them to the joys of reading through my own enthusiasm for the book I had just finished. I can't exactly remember which book it was; suffice to say that this happened quite a few months ago and I have probably read over 25 books since then. Anyway, as usual I was babbling on and on and on and on and (you get the idea) just searching, hoping, praying for a reaction on my brothers' semi-listening faces when, about half way through, my elder brother's demeanour changed and he began jumping monkeyly up and down, unable to physically contain his idea (I assure you, dear reader, that is a very common sight within my fidgety household). That is when he suggested that I should start a blog saying that, and I quote, "yeh man, and you'll probably be really wicked at it. It's jus your sorta thing." I'm 99.9999% sure that he only said it to save his ears from future torture; i.e. if I were torturing the web with my opinions and thoughts then I won't be torturing him into sitting and listening attentively to is only sister. After all, there is only so much torture a person can commit in one day.

At first the idea didn't sit with me too well, after all I'm not much of a conformist and prefer to do things in my own uniquely-Nida way. Not that that makes me stand out in a crowd, I just happen to be the sort of person who blends into the background, observing all, yet going unnoticed. Wow, if I didn't know any better that sounds almost espionage-y - not that that is an actual word but, you know, poetic licence and all...

Anyway, so the idea of blogging had infected me like HIV, lying dormant in my brain for so many months. It was not until this evening, when I had finally got around to watching Julie and Julia, that the virus burst forth and vitiated my limbs into action. Of course, being a pragmatist, I know that I will never achieve the fame and recognition that Julie Powell did, but I figured: what have I got to lose. The worst that can happen is that no one will read this. Well, I'm expecting that anyway. In the words of Tolkien "I gave hope to the Dunedain, I have kept no hope for myself."

So that is why here I am, at 11:40pm, blogging about ... well, blogging.

Another confession: I actually have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. So if anyone actually reads this, please let me know if I have done something wrong, or even something right.

Well, until next time ... whenever that may be.

Nida



3 comments:

  1. Pssh as if there is any right or wrong to blogging! Its your canvas; do what you want with it! The rules are yours to set, or not! I was never a fan of rules much myself. Just keep at it (:

    -Mevan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww your first post! M so proud! lol =)

    Samia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, I just read my first ever blog again and it sounds so formal and proper. Lol.

    ReplyDelete