To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Monday 18 July 2011

Life: as I see it - my Space (Revised) edition

Dear Reader,

Confession: I've been feeling rather nostalgic lately, for obvious reasons, and so you'll just have to bare with me for this post. So, since it has now been a year (+2 weeks) since I posted Life: as I see it - my Space edition (one of my most popular posts) I thought it was time I showed you, my dear reader, how my bookshelves have changed and how they haven't.




I can't wait to add Maggie Steifvater's Forever to this, which is now finally out. It is something that can't be help it, I'm a compulsive completionist.    

Other favourite writers on this shelf are Na'ima B. Robert and Jamilah Kolocotronis.     







This shelf is directly underneath the one above. You'll  find here Kristin Cashore as well as Kate Mosse, with some Robin McKinley being cut off at the bottom of the picture. 






This use to be my "Classics" shelf, but is now mainly Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters, followed by the DVD of my Favourite BBC adaptations of Classics, including: North & South, Cranford, Middlemarch and Little Dorrit.      







This is my, much more serious, non-fiction shelf of mostly medical books, with the exception of Green Deen and  How I Killed Pluto, and Why it Had it Coming.










Aaahhh, Poetry... These huge collections are three of my favourites (minus LAT - see the comment on the link): Thomas Hardy, William Wordsworth and John Keats.  

And peeping in from the top are some of Rudyard Kipling's best works. 






The One and Only, Original bookshelf. Once upon a time, when I was a very little girl, this was the only bookshelf in my bedroom. Hence it still contains the likes of the Chronicles of Narnia and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I have to admit, I haven't much grown out of these books in all these years.  

I'd also like to mention Philip Pulman's Sally Lockhart books, the under-appreciated Garth Nix, and Frank Beddor for obvious reasons. 






Here we have a small neat section reserved for historical fiction and my favourite autobiographies. I think the titles/authors in this picture are clear enough to read, except the orange Dairy of a Young Girl. Anne Frank, may you rest in peace. 









This is where the rest of the Classics from the "ex-Classics shelf" have ended up, including Charles Dickens (in green), Victor Hugo (in the stripped blue)  and my copy of the Selected  Poems of Lord Alfred Tennyson








This is the spot where my beloved Inkworld Trilogy use to reside, but it was burrowed by an old friend and never returned. :'(

So to fill that gap in my heart...I mean shelf, I have filled this spot with the not as much beloved Books of Pallinor. Sorry Alison Croggon, that is just the honest truth.      


   






The Twilight Saga has been transferred, to the top of my big wardrobe to have a teeth and claw battle with...






... Christopher Paolini's dragons. Who will win this epic dual of fantasy vs. horror in the Young Adult Fiction genre? 

Let me know what you think in the Comments section below. 

Aside: Vampires come into the 'horror' category, don't they? Or am I thoroughly deceived? 


To lend his support to the Fantasy genre, is my collection of Tolkein's work, 
(also found at the top of another wardrobe).    

And finally the most important shelf in my bedroom, which resides in the top right-hand corner of my desk, hold my religious books. Most things Islamic, can be found in this shelf with The Noble Qur'an at the heart of it all. If you have been following my blog for long enough, you'll remember that much-used little blue book at the top is my pocket-size version of The Sealed Nectar, a biography of the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).   
By the way, if you look to the far left, you'll see two unnamed books. They're mine. The grey one is choked-full of my poetry and the floral-pattern-one being my first note book entirely concerned with my novel-in-the-making Life in Conversations.    

I hope, dear Reader, that you have been awed and inspired by my vast array of books. I was going to continue on to a little piece about the gardening I've been doing recently with my mum, and the efforts we have put into salvaging and saving the lives of about 16 small and starved geranium plants we found on sale at B&Q. But I've realised that this post is already far too long and that tales of my epic weeding might bore you, dear Reader, to death. And that is something I don't want on my concious. 

Anyway, making this post longer is now no-longer an option as I must go and make some greek-style pasta for my ravenous brothers. 

Nida

13 comments:

  1. Omgee! I love your shelf! It's so interesting and organised! And to answer your question, Eragon will DEFINITELY win over Twilight (although I must admit it doesn't really fit in the horror genre, at least in my opinion.) I've also noticed that your books are very symmetrical, as in all the books in the series you have have identical designs. Sadly, that isn't the case with my books and most of my book series have some books of one edition and the rest of another. As a result my collections tend to be rather irregular, although I wish it could be otherwise. =/

    Hnia

    ReplyDelete
  2. L-Manio in the Know25 July 2011 at 13:09

    Dragons will absolutely destroy vampires and werewolves at the same time. Dragons would completely chomp their faces off. I've read some of the Christopher Poalini books and I know enough that a single Dragon like Saphira or Thorn would decimate the entire Volturi (I think that is how it is spelt).
    Anywho....
    my question for all is: if you were a dragon from any book who would you be and why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Hnia

    Thank you, honey. You're comment was really sweet, it's nice knowing you think I'm interesting and organised. As far as the "symmetry" of my shelves go, I often go out of my way to buy the same editions of books in a series, or otherwise by the whole series together in a box set. I know it's kinda weird and pointless, I'm I'm picky that way. That's also why I think Amazon.co.uk is so great, they have many different editions of the same books.

    @ L-Manio

    I've never been interested in being a species other than human, even a mythical species. But there are several dragons that I adore (in order of how they come to mind):
    1)Saphira from "Eragon", I love her personality the most: part motherly-and-care and part-cheeky.
    2)Glaedr, the Golden Dragon, also from the "Eragon" series because he's so wise and with great inner strength.
    3)Eustace as a Dragon, in "the Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis, because it's only after becoming a dragon that Eustace learns his lesson.
    4)Smaug from "The Hobbit". I know he's a bad guy but I like him because he represents a key flaw in mankind: despite all his wisdom and strength, his arrogance is his downfall.
    5)and finaly Baby Norbert, the Norwegian Ridgeback that Hagrid adopts in one of the Harry Potter books.

    @ both of you

    I completely agree: Dragons (or rather the fantasy genre) trumps Vampires any day, even with the impossible-to-kill Lestat, from "Interview with a Vampire" by Ann Rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nida: Lucky! Amazon isn't available in Pakistan. *sighs wistfully* =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I was reading that wonderful poemyou wrote on "I got it covered" (Which was super cool btw) and now I discovered that you have the same reading obsession as me! I'm so happy. I havent got "Linger" yet form Maggie Steifvater's series.. tryna find it in any libraries. I have a book shelf, but its only got like 10 books minmum cuz I'm not one for buying I, I do more borrowing.
    And, I LOVE writing aswell, I'm currently writing two stories: muslimahstory.wordpress.com and fiercebattle.blogspot.com
    Please vixit, and tell me what you think!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Muslimah,

    I tried posting this comment on your blog but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I'll try re-posting it again in a few days time.

    "You are incredibly brave to be writing three blogs at once, and not just normal blogs (like mine) but novels! Hats off to you, honey. :D

    I spent a day reading through 'Fierce Battle'. I love the concept and would love to know more about the King of Ice, the Queen of Fire and their war and the reason behind it. BTW was this story inspired by Robert Frost's brilliant poem 'Fire and Ice'?

    But to be honest, I have to admit that the story telling was weak at a few points, especially the beginning (not the prologue which was great but more like chapter 1 & 2). While reading through your work I could see that your writing was getting progressively better, and that's the thing about writing: the more you write the better you become at it, so you shouldn't stop or give it up if at first your work seems weak and flawed.

    As to perspective. I've also had the problem of it sounding far to feminine when written from first person. This normally is a good thing when writing about a girl/s, but becomes a problem when your writing from a guys point of view. Some time ago, when I was a teenager, I asked a guy classmate to help me with this problem ... well suffice to say that his refusal was slightly humiliating. Anyway, I find that the 3rd person perspective is really malleable and allows room for so much: from a quirky-omnipresent narrator to a really personal and intimate 1st person perspective written in 3rd person.

    I think it's a good thing that you're re-writing the entire thing, because writing is also a process. We need to be constantly be editing and re-writing our work because we should be striving to better not only our work but our selves too. Yes, it takes a lot of time and effort and can become really frustrating, but you must keep at and not give up. And Inshallah, the product in you hands will be a 100x better than what you started out with. :)

    I hope that helps. Take care.
    Nida"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeek! A fellow bookworm! I'm thrilled!! :D

    Your shelves are quite impressive, but yeah, we do differ on the classics and poetry. I can't for the life of me sit through a Charles Dickens or Jane Eyre or any lengthy poetry! :P

    I tried reading Eragon and then gave up a few pages into it too. It's now on my ever increasing TBR pile!

    But I heart the Julia Quinns and Twilights and anything else you might have in that genre! You're a fan of Maggie Steifvater too?? I read Shiver, and absolutely adored Sam! Paranormal romance is my absolute favorite! All those werewolves, vampires, dragons...., you name it, I'll love it! :P I'm waiting to read Linger and Forever together because I do NOT want to be disappointed!

    Do you have any of your novels published? If so, I'd love to read one :)

    I do a bit of writing too, but most of my stories are half-written. I'd have the whole thing mapped out in my mind, but putting it on paper is so frustrating! I forget that seeing the scenes play out in my mind is quite different from explaining and describing it on paper! I have a serious drought of adjectives! :P

    By the way, are you on Goodreads? I used to be on Shelfari, but switched to Goodreads after a friend recommended it. If you're there, look me up k? I'd love to dig through your shelves :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ x@hu

    "Eeeek" I'm so thrilled too!!! :D *momentarily jumping up and down for joy*

    Though I have to say, Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters were the Romance writers of there time. (You see, because I absolutely adore the classics I have to come to there defence.) But I've also noticed that because they're written in 'proper formal English' young people, myself excluded, find them difficult to get through and to actually finish them takes a lot of stamina!
    If you like Julia Quinn, then you might want to actually try 'Pride and Prejudice' or 'Sense and Sensibility' by Jane Austen, because they're set in the same time period.

    I have to admit, for light reading, on a dismal rainy day, Paranormal Romances are pretty good. I agree, you have to read 'Linger' and 'Forever' together, it much more exciting that way. And if you have time, re-read 'Shiver' before starting on 'Linger'. I actually met Maggie Steifvater once and wrote all about it on this blog. Here's the link if you're interested.
    http://lifeasiknowit-nida.blogspot.com/2010/10/meeting-maggie.html

    Only my poetry has ever been published. But I'm working on my debut-ish novel right now, the working title is 'Life in Conversations'. Inshallah it will be on book shelves in a few years time, because I'm not actually a writer by profession and the writing itself requires a lot of time.

    Unfortunately I'm only on shelfari, I started it years ago but I don't have time any more to join a new site and rebuild my bookshelf. :(

    Oh, and if you like Fantasy Romances I think you'll love Kristen Cashore's 'Graceling' and 'Fire'. I've re-read each about 5 times. ;) If you do read them, let me know what you think and we can compare notes.

    Take care and keep in touch,
    Nida

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the way your shelf is arranged!! <3 I always wanted a shelf like that with a collection of lovely books, but that's a dream unfulifilled! :D For now my table is just way too messed up with only engineering text books, hiding away my lovely novels.
    I dont have a collection like you though, because I somehow always end up borrowing books from friends. I noticed if I had a shelf the only comman book with your would be Twilight series! :P I'm not much of a classic-reader. The English they used goes over my head! :D

    I was always into "romantic" novels though like the ones by Nicholas Spark, Cecelia Ahern. But I must admit I am done with them for now. Is there any book you would recommend?
    And Have you read Paulo Coelho's Alchemist?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ PotentialHiajabi

    Jazakallah khair. Inshallah your dream of a perfect bookshelf will one day come true.
    Wow engineering, that sounds cool. What type of engineering are you doing in particular? My little brother wants to do mechanical engineering though I've heard civil engineering pays loads.

    If you like twilight then maybe you'll be interested in Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. have you heard of it? The only "romance" books I've read are by Julia Quinn. They're not that amazing but I seem to have become addicted. It's slightly embarrassing actually :S I haven't heard of Nicholas Spark or Cecelia Ahern. Are they any good? I have read a few books by Elizabeth Noble but I'm not sure they qualifies as romance.

    I've been meaning to read Alchemist for more than 3 years now. I even have it on my shelf, but I never seem to get around to it, unfortunately, something more new and/or exciting always seems to turn up.

    Take care and Allah Hafiz
    Nida

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, my bookshelf, Insha'allah!

    I am doing Computer Science engg, actually. I'm not very much aware of mechanical and civil branch, since I dont have that option in my college and so dont know many people in that field. But personally, what I have seen as a engg student, as long as you have good knowledge in your field and maintain a distinction throughout, Insha'allah, you have the ability to get a good job which gives you a good income. So, personally, I would suggest your brother should first try to do some research and see which field contains what and enter into a field of his area of interest, only then he will be able to learn better and get into a good job, insha'allah!

    I've not heard of Maggie Stiefvater :S. Nicholas Spark is pretty good. I suggest you read Message in bottle by him, its lovely. And I love Cecelia Aherns style of writing, you'l be crying one moment and laughing the next!

    And I did read the post on your blog in which you spoke about the novel you are starting, Insha'allah, I'll read it sometime! :)

    Assalamualaikum wa-rahmatullah :)

    (P.S.I wasn't sure if you read my reply to ur comment on my blog post, so re-posted here :D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your collections sis. In fact, you’ve inspired me to do my own post, introducing my bookshelves, so do peek in if you’re interested. :)

    Oddly enough, I don’t read too much fiction, but LOVE watching ‘fantasy’ movies. Vampires, Dragons and any other mythical creatures, really. Are there any non-fiction books you absolutely love and would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazakallah khair sis, I'm glad to hear wrote something inspirational. I'd love to see your bookshelves too, though for some reason, I can't seem to access your blog.

      You can probably tell that I don't really read non-fiction books, and the ones I do read are mainly related to medicine, science and Islam. But there are a few recommendations I can make:

      "From my sister's lips" by Na'ima B. Roberts
      "Love in a Headscarf" by Shelina Zara Janmohammed
      "Chinese Cinderella" by Adeline Yen Mah.

      These are some of my favourite autobiographies. But if you're interested in Islam and politics, you could try "The New Crusades: Constructing the Muslim Enemy" by Emran Qureshi and Michael Sells, well that is if you haven't read it already.

      I hope that helps,
      love Nida

      Delete