To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Monday 27 June 2011

More than a Year!

Dear Reader, 

This post is exactly 2 months and 2 weeks overdue. :-S 

Image courtesy of  justcalendars.org 
You see, on April 13th 2010 I published my first blog post. And now I've been posting letters to the great wide interweb for more than a year now. Alhumdulillah. If you, dear reader, had told me two years ago that by the time I finished my degree I would be addicted to reading blogs and blogging myself, well I wouldn't have believed you, thought you were being absurd and dismissed the comment altogether. But I suppose LIFE is full of unexpected turns. I suppose I should given myself a virtual pat on the back for having gotten through a year of virtual blogging, but honestly it seems rather childish ... fine I'll do it anyway, since you insist. Thump, thump. And Inshallah, I'll still be blogging years from now. 

I'd also like to thank you, dear reader, for actually taking the time out of your own life to read about my silly obsession with books and poetry.    

As occasions like this usually require some form of reminiscing, I went back and re-read my first-ever-post. It made me laugh. Probably because it was full of jokes that only I would get. ;-) However, there was this one paragraph that I found particularly humorous because, even though so much has changed this past year, this particular statement still hold true:

"Well, it all began with my brothers - as much in my life does. I have two (quite an unremarkable number) one older and one younger than myself; being stuck in the middle has not been easy. Both of them had been loitering around my bedroom door comparing the size of their muscles - typical male behaviour, the details of which I'm sure you would not want to know. Anyway, having no other book addicts in my house, I am constantly trying to engage my brothers in some even marginally intellectual conversation.    

Also, I noticed that the entire post sounded as if I was telling a story. I like that. I haven't written a story/anecdote on my blog for some time now. If you would like me to write more story/anecdotal posts rather than just reviews of books and poems, then let me know in the comment section below.   

Anyway, I have a few surprises in store for the month of July, as it promises to be busy with activity. That is if the lovely British Summer weather, decides to hold out, Inshallah. Until then.    

Nida


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Nida,
    I just wanted to tell you that I've been reading your blog for quite a few months now. I actually liked it so much that I decided to make a Google account start a blog of my own. =D I'm also an official follower of your blog now!
    I actually have the same dilemma as yours. No one in my family likes to read as much as I do and as a result I have no one to talk to about books.=/
    Anyway, I love reading your reviews about books and poems. Best of luck for your Reading Challenge. I hope ,InshAllah, that you are successful. Keep blogging!
    Here's my blog: http://windingstairways.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalaam-u-aliakum Hnia,

    Jazakallah Khair for your comment, it put the hugest smile on my face. It's always nice to hear that someone unexpected is reading your blog; and it's even nicer to hear from a fellow book-lover :).

    I'm greatly looking forward to reading more from you.

    Nida

    ReplyDelete
  4. L-Manio in the Know28 June 2011 at 17:02

    Firstly Mash-Allah
    and
    Hmm one year.... that quick! seems like only a couple of days ago when I read your first post. I too have being watching closely at your post and just have to say keep them coming, I always finish reading your posts with a big smile on my face.

    Though I am not committed enough nor do I have the time to start my own blog, I will be looking forward to your up coming posts.

    As promised my question for you and anyone else that reads this blog,"if you had three personal wishes, what would you wish for?" yes a cliché question but I have a question drought today.

    Looking forward to your response!! =p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazakallah Khair for the comment.

    Hmmmm, three wishes... Well, I don't really need to make personal wishes because firstly I'm happy with the way my life is and with everything Allah (swt) has given me. Secondly, because, so far Allah (swt) has always answered my Du'as, Alhumdulillah.

    But, if I were to make wishes, I'll probably go all out and ask for the near impossible:
    1) remove corruption from this world, because it is what prevents people from helping each other and is at the heart of most wars and injustices.
    2) remove all forms of racism and sexism because I just cannot tolerate it in any form.
    3) make health care and education freely available for all human beings, everywhere in the world.

    Because, you see, it's not just good enough to ask for "world peace", you need to tackle and solve the core problems first.

    Nida

    ReplyDelete