To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Friday 14 May 2010

Reasons, Incentives to Intensify Revision

Dear Reader,

I believe I have finally, truly, come to the realization that my end-of-year exams are fast apporaching. This phenomenon came about when I sat down at my desk with my folders, my Forever-Friends calendar (incredulously girly - I know) and my lapton. As it turns out, I have about 110 lectures to revise, within the next 39 days. A daunting task, if I may say so myself. I think the only way I'm going to be to be able to cope with this copious task, and still be alive to see the end of it, is by reminding myself of why I'm doing this in the first place. Nothing like some motivation to get me moving. So here goes:

1) Exams and all aside, I actually really like what I'm doing. I cannot count the number of times in the past  years when I've come out of a lecture or a tutorial (the class-room when I was younger) completely pent-up with excitment at having been given new knowledge, or bursting with questions about the connections or loopholes that I'd made. Often times, I've confounded people with my enthusiam. Knowledge, for the sake of knowing, should be gained, not because you are going to be tested on it. As Tim McIlrath sings : "what we  know is almost nothing at all" - a life in the pursuit of knowledge and all that. However, since I have no choice but to be thoroughly grilled in slightly-more than a months time, there is no reason not to show-off all that I already know, little as it may be. 

2) Linking in with the previous point, Allah (swa) made the human body and it is the most marvelous, miraculous piece of machinery in existence. It completely deserves to be studied meticulously. And when it starts to go wrong, it deserves to be treated. Thus, it is my high and noble aim to eventually be in a position where I can help make the quality of life better for these walking talking museums of genius, that vastly populate this world. However, this position can only be reached if I can get an important part of this particular body, i.e. my brain, to focus on the examination at hand.

3) It would please my lovely and darling mum excessively if I got good results in my exams. And if my mum is happy, then I am. (I always wonder why mothers and daughters are depicted at odd ends in today's media; though that might have something to do with that fact the my mum is exceptionally beautiful and wise and treats me like her best friend.)

Be warned! The following incentives are supremely superficial.

4) I so badly want to get better results than my older brother. Sibling-rivalry - a universally understood fact. No more explanation needed.
A cartoon of my older brother by Moi!

5) Having a decent degree will, Inshallah, allow me to attain a better career. Of course, that also depends if our economy wills itself out of it's current dire situation by the time I'm finished, so that I may make more money than I am right now (which isn't much at all). Since after all, food and shelter aside, I need an incredible income to feed my undying obsession of books. Yes, there are libraries (sigh), but owning and collecting books holds a much better taste in my mouth. 

The Further Observations of Lady WhistledownWhich reminds me, I was little more than three-quaters of the way through this Lady Whistledown anthology --->; when I realised how appalled I was with myself. To be so addicted to these yucky-romances! (tut tut) It is entirely dispicable - even though the silly stories bring the most cheesiest smile to my face and make me laugh at completely inappropraite moments. Still, I think it's actually quite disgusting really, the way that all the heroes (except for the some-what uncommon exception of Sir Philip from To Sir Philip, With Love) seem to be either "devilishly handsome" (direct quote) or Adonis reborn (not a direct quote but the numerous repetitions of the similie has lodged it in my brain). In my mind they're all bungled together in a single brown-haired-green-eyed-broad-shouldered bulk of a being. Whatever happened to the 87% of the male population that doesn't fit that description, or something like it. For once I'd like to read a book about the nerdy-not-so-good-looking-but-with-real-substance-beneath-the-surface kind-of-a-guy; read of him falling in love and then actually getting his happily as-long-as-his-life-lasts ever-after (let my know if you think I'm overdoing the hyphens). Someone (I can't actually remember who right now, but I'll let you know if I do) once said "if you can't find the story you want to read, then write it yourself" and that's exactly what I'm going to do ... well, after I can put these awful written exams behind me. 

Which, unfortunately, reminds me that I should infact be revising rather than concocting clamorous critisms of poor Julia Quinn's pathetic choice of heroes. So we'll meet again at my next break from my mind-numbing revision.

Nida

No comments:

Post a Comment