To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Monday 25 March 2013

Semi-full Reading List of 2013

Dear Reader,

So, as promised, here is a provisional list of books I want to read in 2013. This does not include the books I plan to re-read, e.g. Persuasion by Jane Austen. I'll probably post updates every few months, Inshallah, but I've also added two widgets for this in the side bar --->. This year, I've challenged myself to read one book a week: 52 weeks = 52 books. And because there are so many new books I want to read this year, the list is sort-of in the order of genre.

Fairytale retellings:
  1. Snow by Tracy Lynn
  2. Winter's Child by Cameron Dokey
  3. Water Song by Suzanne Weyn
  4. Midnight Pearls by Debbie Viguie
  5. Fathomless by Jackson Pearce
  6. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
  7. Scarlet also by Marissa Meyer
Sci-Fi: 
  1. The Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie
  2. The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner
  3. Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
  4. Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth (the latest buzz books)
  5. Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver (the other latest buzz, or so I'm told)
  6. Origin by Jessica Khoury
  7. Emerald Green by Kerstin Geir (the final instalment of the Ruby Red Trilogy to be released in the UK on 8th October, so I am breathlessly anticipating this book, though I'm not holding my breath.)
Stand alone novels:
  1. When Wings Expand by Mehded Maryam Sinclair (a must read if you like TFiOS)
  2. The Bride of Lammermoor by Sir Walter Scott (a Classic I have not read before)
  3. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
  4. And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (will be released in May)
  5. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides
  6. Through the Glass, Darkly by Jostien Gaarder (another non-English-speaking favourite writer)
  7. The Ringmaster's Daughter also by Jostien Gaarder
Poetry:
  1. Early Poems by Lord Alfred Tennyson
  2. Modern Poetry of Pakistan edited by Iftikhar Arif and translated by Waqas Khwaja
  3. Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti and illustrated by Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Other books that don't fit into the above categories:
  1. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
  2. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (my first Sherlock Holmes, can't wait!)
  3. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  4. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  5. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
  6. The Mark of Athena by Rick Roirdan
  7. The Bridgerton Happily Ever After by, yes you've guessed it, Julia Quinn (my guilty-pleasure book of the year)  
You'll notice how each category (except Poetry) has 7 titles in it. I assure you this is completely coincidental and does not hide a secret message *wink*. Of course, I don't have all these books with me right now. In fact, a few aren't even out yet (yes trilogies, I'm looking at you). But these are all the ones I have on my bedside bookshelf:  

Click on the picture for a better read.
Knowing what a keen I for detail you have, dear reader, I'm sure you've noticed that almost half of these books are from my Local Library (Aside: do you remember those? My local library is still standing because the building is part of the British Heritage, i.e. it's more than 100 years old, and also because we oldies protested it's closing down.) So you see, I'm using my library because it's an essential part of our local society and not only because I've significantly cut down my book-buying-budget. Anyway, this next picture is of the non-fiction, mainly novel-research, books that I am currently reading/plan to read.


For a complete overview of the books I've read and want to read you can now follow me on either shelfari or goodreads. There's some discrepancy between the two shelves but I'm currently working on sorting that out. Also, don't forget to follow me on twitter for regular updates.

Nida

P.S. - my best friend, Codename: Pixie, just started her own blog. Help me support and encourage her by checking out her first post Secrets

No comments:

Post a Comment