To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Top 5 Wednesday: Genres

Dear Reader,

So I've joined the #T5WFamily. What is the T5WFamily? you may ask. Well, T5W stands for Top 5 Wednesday (as you can see by the title) and it is a "family" of booktubers and bloggers, who list their Top 5 whatever-the-topic-is-for-that-week every Wednesday. This brilliant idea was the brain-child Lainey from gingerreadslainey on youtube, though I first came across it on The Readables. The series is fun and easy to write/watch, and is open to all who want to participate. If you, dear reader, want to know more or want to join in the fun, this is the link for the goodreads group.  

This week's topic is favourite Genres. Here are my Top 5:

5) Autobiographies - as opposed to regular biographies, because I prefer to read the story as told by the person who lived through it. I mostly enjoy reading autobiographies of writers or other historical figures. My favourites include: 

4) Historical Fiction - in my opinion this is fiction that's been written in modern times but is set in the past, for example: 
  • The Daughter of Venice by Donna Jo Napoli,
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak,
  • The Sally Lockhart Series by Philip Pullman,
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and
  • even those accursed-guilty-pleasure-books by Julia Quinn. 

3) Sci-Fi/Dystopian - I've grouped these two together because there is usually (though not always) a lot of overlap and also because I became a fan of this two genres around the same time and only very recently. Some books I've read from these genres are:
  • The Hunger Games by Susanne Collins,
  • Uglies Quartet by Scott Westerfeld,
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, 
  • The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells and
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.  

2) Classics - but more particularly Fiction from the 19th Century (and Shakespeare). My love of Classics began when I first picked up Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen at the tender and impressionable age of 14. Since then I've made it my goal to read 3 to 4 new classics each year. Here are five of my favourites:
  • North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell,
  • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens,
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte,
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen and     
  • A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthus Conan Doyle.

And finally, number one on my list is (yes you've guessed it),
1) Fantasy - I'm an escapist reader and I love fantasy. From the fairytales I enjoyed listening to and reading as a child, to the first book I remember actually falling in love with, to the section I head to first whenever I enter book shop; all relate to by desire for that fantastical. There are many different sub-genres within fantasy but for now I'll now talk about the Top 5 I like reading most.
  • High-Fantasy: this is when the story is set in a completely new/made-up world with their own rules and physical laws, for example The Lord of The Ring by J R.R. Tolkien, The Inheritence Cycle by Christopher Paolini or The Graceling Realm by Kristen Cashore. 
  • Low-Fantasy: where the story can be set in the real-world or a fictional one but follow real-world laws but with many fantastical elements. The distinction between the two can be blurry at time but here are a few favourites that are definitely "low" fantasy: Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling, The Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke and The Once & Future King by T.H. White. 
  • Fairy-tales: are self-explanatory and which I've already written about several times on my blog. My favourite of all time is The Beauty & The Beast, which is discus in much detail in another post. Fairy tale re-tellings are also rather enjoyable; there are the Jackson Pearce books (Sisters Red, Sweetly and Fathomless) and mostly recently I fell head-over-heals for The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer which I've also reviewed on this blog.        
  • Urban-Fantasy: are stories set in the real (usually modern) world, only with some fantastical elements to them, e.g. Percy Jackson & The Olympians by Rick Riordan, Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson and Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.  
  • Paranormal: stories about vampires, werewolves, witches, angels, demons, ghosts etc.. hanging out among the human population (though without any of the 'horror' elements). The majority of the YA that I've read falls into this sub-category, for example Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments, The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater or Dracula by Bram Stoker.   

Until the next book, the next review, the next Wednesday, take care and keep reading.
Nida 


No comments:

Post a Comment