To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Thursday 27 January 2011

how to Waste Time...

Dear Reader,

In today's "how to..." post, I will show you how to waste one of mankind's most precious commodity. Time.

If you, by any chance, know me personally, then you would also know that I rarely watch TV. However, in the past, I always use to make an exception for historical/period dramas, like North & SouthJane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility and Little Dorrit (Aside: these four are my favourite BBC adaptations/productions in descending order).  But  due to exams and uni work, I hadn't been keeping up to date on what's been on T.V. So when I read this blog post by one of my favourite authors, Kristen Cashore, I was sufficiently intrigued by Downton Abbey. It set in Yorkshire, England in the early 1900s, and is about both the nobility (the Earl of Grantham and his family) and servants (the butler - Mr. Carson, the housekeeper - Mrs. Hughes etc...) that live/work in Downton Abbey. 

As evidence of the vast amount of time I've been wasting recently, I went out the same day, rented a copy of Downton Abbey DVD and watched all seven episodes in one day (each episode being about an hour long - the equivalent of watching 3 incredibly long movies). I had told myself that I'll watch one episode each day, but I was so hooked that I ended up watching them all at once with  probably a small 5min break before episode 5 to run downstairs grab a packet of snack-a-jacks, nice biscuits and a cup of tea (can't forget the tea!). And then, after I'd finished watching, I spent the rest of the night thinking about each characters' flaws (especially Lady Mary, the Earl's oldest daughter, played by the beautiful Michelle Dockery) and what might happen in the next series, which of course meant that I lost quite a few hours of precious sleep. 

Who are my favourite characters from the series, I hear you ask? (I have a good imagination) Well, first and foremost it has to be Anna Smith (Joanne Froggatt), the head housemaid, for her share kindness and compassion, then Mrs. Isobel Crawley (Penelope Wilton) for her stubbornness and cheek when defying convention. After that comes the Earl himself (Hugh Bonneville) because he seems like such a nice guy and nice guys have a tendency to be under-appreciated. And then Lady Sybil Crawley (Jessica Brown-Findlay) - the Earl's youngest dauhgter, for obvious reasons (well only obvious if you've seen the the series, but if you haven't then you, dear reader, definitely should). 

And if you're still not interested, then this is the ITV promo. 



And now that I've proven that I can thoroughly waste time, I'm going to go and hang my head in shame - for about five minutes and then it's off to 5 hours of non-stop-work-on-my-dissertation.

Nida

No comments:

Post a Comment