To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Tuesday 11 January 2011

winter Hauntings

A (late) Happy New Year Dear Reader,

Fear not, for I have not abandoned you in this new year. My time has been occupied by odious exams that began in the first week of January, and the next semester started the week after. And amidst all the bombardment of information, I've also been trying to recuperate from this long suffering flu. Altogether, not a most auspicious start for the year 2011, but I'm hoping and praying that things will get better sooner.

It has also not escaped my notice that I will be finishing my undergraduate education within the next four and a half months. Gulp! This is something I'm not looking forward to. Not because of the impending thought of "what to do next?" (I've always known what to do next) but entirely because I'm loath to depart from my Uni,which has been a second home to me these past three years, and to leave behind my friends, Collective Codename: the Sisterhood, that have been as an extended family. But I cannot think about this right now or I'm likely to go into a long sentimental tangent that would bring tears into the eyes of the most hardened of hearts. 

On a side note, I've set up another page for this blog, the link to which is also in the side bar. It has my favourite Life: as I see it pictures so far. Enjoy.

Moving on. For some unfathomable reason, I have been drawn into to the dark world of ghosts and death in this particularly cold and snowy winter. I have quite a list compiled of chiefly chilling books. Currently I'm reading The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. But of course, my obvious first choice in this case is was The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse. I fineshed reading it on the 16th of December, some time ago now but I thought I might as well review it for you, dear reader, anyway.

Winter Ghosts (UK Import Hardcover) Mosse
 I'm not usually much of a 'ghost story' person but since it has been quite some time since I read either Labyrinth or Sepulchre (both by Kate Mosse), I had quite forgotten how much I enjoy Mosse's stories and style of writing. The Winter Ghosts did a great job of reminding me of it. It's about one man's journey to escape the inner ghost of his older brother, only to find himself tangled into a haunted web of conspiracy that took place hundreds of years ago.

What captured my attention particularly in this some-what tragic love story was not the characters but the setting. Mosse describes the scenery in such a way that the mountains, the village, the trees, even the weather, take up a life of their own and speak out as if characters themselves, mourning their history, the suffering that they have witnessed. It leaves one both chilled to the bone and feeling surreal at heart.

On the whole, The Winter Ghosts can now be found among my favourite books. A truly compelling read.


I guess that's all I have to say for today. Until next time with another Book, another Blog and another Review.

Nida







No comments:

Post a Comment