To begin

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Tuesday 18 January 2011

loose Ends and abstract Thoughts

Dear Reader,

It was recently bought to my attention that I hadn't commented on the status of the title of "the BIG ONE". Well, since I'm a very democratic person, *wink* I've taken into consideration the results of the poll (now ended), and decided to temporarily name the BIG ONE Life in Conversations. 'Temporarily' because the title may very well change once editors and publishers get their hands on a manuscript. But I'm happy with Life in Conversations, even though my Poetic Friend really wants me to call it "Conversations in my Head". Aside: this title always makes me feel slightly unhinged. But I thoroughly plan on writing a poem with that title; I hope it'll be a deep and moving confession of my unhinged-ness.   

Anyway, I began reading The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw. I'm a just few chapters in but I wanted to share this passage with you because ... well I'm not sure why. 

"He chased it all the way to the fringe of the woods, and followed it into the open, where scrubland sloped down and away from him towards a river. Crows wheeled in a sky of oily rags. Hidden water gurggled nearby, welling into a darks pool at the bottom of the slop. Above the pool, the ray of light dangled like a golden ribbon."

Ali Shaw'sThe Girl with Glass Feet: A Novel [Hardcover](2010)

So, what do you think? ... Though this whole passge (which actually spans the length of two pages) is a homage of the simple beauty found in the contrasting nature of Nature, these lines in particular make me think about how we, as humans, are running after a tempting but insubstantial ray of hope in these dark and dismal times. Even if we don't admit it. But more than that, we need to know that there is hope, that we can run after it and try to grab it; for the sake of our sanity, at the very least. I for one, couldn't survive in a world where there wasn't even a hope for Hope. Does that make any sense to you, dear reader?

I'm afraid I must leave you now, for I feel weighed by these abstract thoughts.
Nida   

3 comments:

  1. I quite forgot to mention, I've fallen in love with this books cover design ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Nida,
    you do make me laugh! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samia, since making you laugh is one on my main aims in life, you comment has set my world on it's correct axis again lol :p

    ReplyDelete